Have viral infection, sinus congestion, sore throat with diarrhea and upset stomach. Is it normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Can i ask- I have a viral infection, sinus confestion amd pain, sore throat, cough and slight temperature. But ive also got a mildly upset stomach with a touch of diareah. Is this normal? Thanks
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 hours later
Brief Answer: Diarrhea is common in viral infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It appears that you have a Viral fever which is supported by headache, feeling feverish, running nose, cough and diarrhea. Usually viral fevers will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated. Diarrhea is also likely to subside in next 3-4 days without any treatment. You can do steam inhalation for relief. Keep well hydrated with plenty of warm fluids and especially fruit juices. For sinus congestion you may apply 2 drops of saline nasal drops to each nostril twice a day and do a steam inhalation for relief. Keep warm, avoid exposure to cold as this could aggravate the problem. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Eat high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat, eggs. You can take cough suppressants if the cough is not subsiding. Also if yellow colour sputum or shortness of breath develops then you may need to consult with your Doctor. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.