Have vessels in armpit that is raised, is slightly hard and tender. They are?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have about a 6" vessel in my left armpit that is raised, slightly hard, and slightly point tender.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 54 minutes later

Your symptoms most likely resemble superficial thrombophlebitis of veins in axilla.

When the veins close to our skin surface are blocked by a blood clot they become inflamed and sometimes infected. This may cause their swelling, hardening, tenderness sometimes they may stand out as purplish cords.

The treatment is mostly anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen and acetaminophen and antibiotics like penicillin or cephalosporin.

You need to consult your doctor to confirm the diagnosis and provide appropriate treatment.

Occasionally some more serious underlying conditions like XXXXXXX vein thrombosis and lymphangitis may coexist or have similar presentation which can only be ruled out by physical examination by your doctor. So please do not neglect your symptom and get it treated.

Follow-up: Have vessels in armpit that is raised, is slightly hard and tender. They are? 9 hours later
Thank you.

I am getting ready to travel from Australia to the US on Th. Would you suggest having a consult with a physician here prior to departure?

Also, I have trouble with ibuprofen as it causes very painful mouth ulcers. I do not believe acetaminophen is an anti-inflammatory? How about ketoprofen or naproxen?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 9 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes, I would suggest an appointment with your doctor prior to departure if feasible to avoid any complications like abscess or thromboembolism.
Acetaminophen does have mild recommended doses but naproxen and ketoprofen in prescribed doses would be better alternatives.
In any case it would be advisable to consult your doctor before taking any medication for the condition.
I hope, this helps. Please accept my answer in case yo have no follow up queries.