Ask a Dentist   »  

Have very weak teeth. What are the methods to fix it?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I have a question regarding fixing of teeth. My mother's teeth are very weak and doctor recommends that some of them will have to be removed and new teeth will have to be fixed. I hear that there are two options regarding that. Once is some removable teeth, and the other is where artificial teeth are permanently fixed. Could be please tell me more about it. And which of these options is better under what circumstances?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 22 hours later
Thank you for the query. It needs to be decided on the strength of supporting structures of the remaining teeth [by x-ray it may be decided]. If strength is good and there are teeth on either side of the edentulous area [area without teeth] one can go for bridge, which requires the modification of neighbouring teeth to receive the bridge. Other options of fixed teeth are implants, which needs good amount of bone in the edentulous area and good systemic health. With implants neighbouring teeth are not touched. If the bone support is not good for the standing teeth then safer option is to go for removable denture.
Hope this give you the information, if you have anything to be clarified further I am happily available for the discussion.
With happy regards,