Have very thin hair, can see scalp when using gel, have bald spot. Is this normal?

Question
I am only 14 years old and I have very thin hair. When I gel it you can see my scalp. Is this normal?
I also have a sort of big bald spot where my hair grew in.

Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
No, it is not normal at your age to have bald spots and thin hair. Alopecia or baldness are more common for old peoples, but never for youngers. This condition may occur due to many causes : androgenetics (hormonal disbalance ), genetic predisposition, side effects of drugs, poisoning ( metals, radiation,) systemic disorders, infections ( fungus ), external factors like shampoo, soap, lotions, etc.. I would advice you make an self assessment test, taking in consideration above mentioned possible causes and seek Doctor consultation and request specific test : complete blood count, biopsy with histologic exam and other diagnostic tests that will help you understand your condition , find cause and accordingly choose most effective treatment.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Have very thin hair, can see scalp when using gel, have bald spot. Is this normal? 14 hours later
I actually don't have a bald spot. It is just that the crown on my head is wide. Also my scalp is very itchy and feels dry. How can I fix these issues?

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 8 hours later
Welcome back,
Definitely there are present inflammatory process, and intense itching an dry skin suggestive for dermatitis, but there also can be involved many other causes and accordingly Doctor will provide treatment. I would advice you use soap , body lotions , shampoo (baby shampoo )with neutral pH as a medication in generally indicated topical ( local ) glucocorticoids like hydrocortisone or triamcinolone, antihistaminic local cream like doxepin . But , my recommendation that final decision regarding treatment and further management must be done by Dermatologist. He will guide you correctly after carefully physical assessment.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail