Have very foul smelling stools. No blood or mucus. Suggest?

Excellent

Question
Hi doctor hope you are well.%0A%0AI have very foul smelling stools. No blood or mucus. %0A%0AThis is been happening around 18months.%0A %0APls help%3F
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The odor of stool is related to different causes such as : (1) as a result of medication or overuse of over the counter vitamins

(2) infection in the bowel

(3) diet

(4) history of constipation and how frequently a persons stools and therefore how long the stool spends in the colon

(5) inflammatory conditions such ulcerative colitis or crohns

(6) blood in the stool also causes a foul odor but in that case the stool also may appear black

(7) cystic fibrosis patients also experience foul stools

(8) chronic pancreatitis

(9) malabsoption of food- this can occur in the inflammatory conditions mentioned above. It can also cccur if there is intolerance of other foods or food allergies.

(10) irritable bowel syndrome

You may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment. This would include history and physical examination.
YOur doctor may want to know about any changes in you diet and medication.

A stool sample may be needed to be sent to the lab for analysis and blood tests may determine if you have any inflammatory condition.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Have very foul smelling stools. No blood or mucus. Suggest? 33 minutes later
Ok but nothing too serious%3F

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi

In most cases it is not serious but there are some possible causes that are more serious than others.

As mentioned it can possibly be simply related to diet, medication or overuse of vitamins but in it can also be an indicator of inflammation of the colon. It is not a sign of cancer.

You can reverse any dietary changes you may have made and see if that helps.

You may want to consider visiting your doctor to have a check up to find out the exact cause.

Please feel free to contact me with any other questions

Follow-up: Have very foul smelling stools. No blood or mucus. Suggest? 34 minutes later
Ok i was concerned about cancer. I am glad you have said its not a sign of cancer. Could it be a sign of a parasite or infection that has been in my body fo so long%3F %0A%0ASorry this is my last question.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 55 minutes later
Hi

You can ask as many queries as you want if any of the information is unclear or you want to ask about anything else

It is possible that it could be related to an infection. The infection would result in inflammation of the intestines that could affect the absorption of food.

Follow-up: Have very foul smelling stools. No blood or mucus. Suggest? 5 hours later
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
HI

You're welcome, feel free to ask anything else