Ask a Urologist   »  

Have very dark foul smelling urine. Taking tramadol and hydromorphone. Severe pain in sternum area. What could be the reason?

General Surgeon
I have very dark foul smelling urine and I am wondering if this could be caused by a liver problem - I have been taking pain medication (tramadol and hydromorphone) for over five years for a severe pain in my sternum area that doctors can not find a reason for? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, this can be a liver problem.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Yes, dark urine can be caused by liver failure indeed. Due to bilirubin accumulation in the body, more bilirubin is secreted to the urine. This gives dark color. Bad smell can be caused by diabetes, kidneys problem.
Other liver failure symptoms are yellow skin, yellow eyeballs, itching, easy bleeding, bruises, legs swelling.
I suggest you to have some basic tests: blood work, liver tests, bilirubin level, amylase, urine analysis.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.