Have vertigo and dizzy spells, suggested zyrtec and use flonase nasal spray. Suggest?

Dec 2014

I have vertigo . My doctor suggested I take zyrtec and use Flonase nasal spray . Also I take meclizine for the dizzy spells .
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Should be evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Vertigo may occur due to a number of reasons, commonly due to problems in vestibular or ear region. You have been prescribed Zyrtec (cetrizine) and Flunase (fluticasone). Both are the drugs mainly used to treat some form of allergy and these drugs cause dilatation of nasal mucosa and provide relief in nasal problem. You should take these drugs as per prescription.

Other drug meclizine is specifically given in vertigo and giddiness. The drug provide symptomatic relief in vertigo.

If you are not having proper relief then I would recommend to get your BP checked to rule out hypertension and also postural hypotension. These are two major cause of vertigo.

Other reason behind the symptoms is some form of nutritional deficiency. Low Betahistine, these tablets can be taken on SOS basis for vertigo.

If you fail to get relief then I would advise you to go for MRI scan brain to rule out any structural lesion.

Hope this helps you, if you have more questions you can ask again.