Have vertigo. Feeling nauseous and unable to walk straight. What is causing this?

Have vertigo and a physical therapist shook my head to get the crystals positioned..Now I'm nousous and can't walk straight ...what could of happened..wasn't feeling this before..thank you
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later

Thank you for writing to us.

The condition that matches your description is called Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). This is the most common form of vertigo and is characterized by a sensation of being in motion (your description of feeling nauseous and not being able to walk straight, as you feel you are in motion, and find it difficult to balance). This condition is triggered by sudden head movements or moving the head in a particular direction.

The treatment for this is to move out the crystals from the semicircular canals that are causing inflammation. This requires a special set of skills and training in a particular maneuver called the Epley maneuver. This is what was done for you. And quite obviously, the shaking of the head (as stated above) will lead to aggravation of the vertigo, and thus the dizziness, difficulty in walking straight, etc.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would love to be of assistance.

Best wishes.