Ask a Homeopath   »  

Have vericose veins on legs. Suggest yoga postures to reduce their growth

Naturopathy & Yoga Specialist
I have vericose veins on my legs.Please suggest yoga postures to reduce their growth.
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Yoga
Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 1 hour later
Hello Madam,

Thank you for your query and request for specialist’s answer.

I recommend the following yoga postures and care for the management of varicose veins –

1. Do not stand for prolonged hours, which can weaken the valves of the veins.

2. In case if you have to stand for long hours, take breaks in between so that there is enough rest for the muscles, valves of the veins.

3. Elevate the legs in case if you have to sit for long hours of working.

4. If the varicosity is quite a lot, make sure to use crape bandage or stockings regularly to prevent the deterioration of the valves of veins.

5. Do not massage the veins without any medical supervision.

6. The yoga posture which could help varicose veins are: It is better to get trained by a professional yoga expert before trying them. Although internet videos give you vast knowledge the stability and training hold the key to avoid unnecessary injuries.

a. Urdhva Prasarita Padasana (straight leg raise)

b. Tadasana (mountain pose)

c. Padahastasana (forward bending pose)

d. Sarvangasana

e. Matsyasana

f. Shirsasana

g. Halasana

h. Chakrasana

i. Janusirsasana

j. Paschimottanasana

k. Ustrasana

l. Shavasana

7. I repeat it that should be learnt under the supervision of a qualified yoga therapist or yoga teacher.

8. Make sure to practice them very regularly for maximum effectiveness.

For any further clarifications, please email back to me.

With best wishes,

Dr H K Gurudatta, BNYS
Follow-up: Have vericose veins on legs. Suggest yoga postures to reduce their growth 15 hours later
I have one more query like,i heard that we should not sit cross legs when a person has varicose it correct?.And is it ok if i sit in vajrasan?
Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 21 hours later
Hello Madam,

You are right that people suffering from Varicose veins are forbidden to practice Vajrasana, just for the reason that it can press the veins and pressurize the valves. Also we should note that, it all depends on the extent to which stage the disease has progressed.

While sitting in Vajrasana for long hours, can lead to extreme pressure in the veins and weaken the valves. At the same time, in case if the blood has stagnated that would lead to thrombosis and can lead embolism at times even though it is rare.

To be precise, I need to see your condition and then can recommend whether Vajrasana is fine for you or not.

I hope to have answered your query.

With best wishes,

Dr H K Gurudatta, BNYS