Have vasculitis. Got diarrhea, sore mouth, loss of appetite and decreased vitamin D 3 levels. Worried

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi it started on holiday my 13 year old son has vasculitis and was admitted to hospital ! Came home and on and off he has had diahorea sickness constant sore mouth no appetite and now getting skinny . He had bloods done at doc s which came back borderline liver vitamin d and bones ? He had them repeated today and will get them next week should I be worried he has changed from being so fit to being lethargic and pale . He is 5 ft 4 and weighs on day 6 ,7 then couple days later 6.13 doesn't seem to go over it ??? He also has wpw
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
The recurrent diarrhea and a decreased vitamin D 3 levels can cause the symptoms that he is having.
I would advise that you support his body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement his diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider giving some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets. You can also get Vitamin D supplements prescribed from his physician.
I expect his symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have vasculitis. Got diarrhea, sore mouth, loss of appetite and decreased vitamin D 3 levels. Worried 17 hours later
But this has being going on since XXXXXXX 2012
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the problem is persistent for more than six months then hormonal imbalances like thyroid problem needs to be considered. It s best to consult an endocrinologist for a detailed evaluation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.