Have varicose viens. Started getting throbbing sensation on upper inner thigh. Medical cure?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have an intermittant pulsing or throbbing in my upper inner thigh I hope it is not a sign of a real problem. I do have varicose viens , but I am not in any pain. This has been to my awareness for several months. This is near the top of my leg about 3 inches from the groin area.
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
This can be sign of nothing, and probably is, but considering that you already have some kind of vascular diseases, this can be related to it. Sometimes varicose veins can manifest like that. Veins can become distended enough to make pressure on femoral or deep femoroal artery and its branches,this is nothig serious. In worse case this can be caused by pseudoaneurysm and less common disorders such as areteriovenous malformation and fistulas. Also muscle pulling or trauma can do the same.
So to clear all this out simple test should be done and it would be enough to see is it nothing or something. It is called doppler ultrasound and it is easily performed.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help