Have varicose veins in leg. Is there any exercise or medication to treat it? Do not want surgery

Question

I have a mild case of vericose veins in my left leg, how should I get this treated except for the surgical procedure. Is there some exercise, medication which I can take to treat it.
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 55 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

If you do not have any symptoms and your varicose veins are not causing you discomfort, you may not need to have treatment for this condition.

When it comes to treatment options for varicose veins, the type of treatment you will receive will depend on your general health and the size, position and severity of your veins.

In your case, I recommend you self-care — such as exercising, losing weight, not wearing tight clothes, elevating your legs, and avoiding long periods of standing or sitting — should be enough at this stage, can ease pain and prevent varicose veins from getting worse.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Have varicose veins in leg. Is there any exercise or medication to treat it? Do not want surgery 8 days later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for ur reply.

At times when I am tired or have walked a lot, my legs around the calf muscles (same area as the vericose veins) starts paying. Does vericose veins lead to such kind of pain?

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 hours later
Hi AAAAA

Thanks for your reply.

Varicose veins can cause aching pain and discomfort and this happens more often when you have walked a lot, because standing and walking increases the pressure in the veins of your lower body.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD