Have varicose veins. Getting pain in groin area, foot and ankle. Should I consult orthopedic doctor?

I am a 60 year old lady obese at 83kg and 163kgs I have an ongoing problem of a painful left foot radiating from 1 side of my ankle to the other and a sensitive cramping nerve like pain that goes down the top of my foot or the instep I have had an MRI 12 months ago and that showed that I had a bruised bone The pain that I have now is different Also my whole ;aft leg is now bigger than the other and I have intermittent pain in my groin and hip. I do have varicose veins although they do not look severe I am a nurse and am on my feet most of the day
I have an appointment to go back to the orthopaedic clinic as originally a slipped while tramping do you think that it is an orthopaedic matter or something else The pain wakes me at night
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 21 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

I am a bit concerned about your problem.
From your description, I see 2-3 possibilities.
1)     A DVT (Deep Venous Thrombosis)- pain, swelling and varicosities point to it.
We need to consider a lower limb venous Doppler to look at it.
2)     If you have ankle pain, a bruised bone in the ankle and if there are painful groin lymph nodes, we have to consider an osteomyelitis (bone infection) at the ankle.
What do you mean by “bruised bone”?
Is there any pain, swelling, immobility locally at the ankle?
Was there a trauma to the foot? It can cause like soft tissue injury or an infection in the bone. Else to rule out DVT or arterial ischaemia (insufficiency).

It would greatly help if you could upload a photo of the affected leg here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

I would be glad to answer any further queries.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!