Have varicocole. Not having strong erection. Medicine to increase sperm count?

Question
Hi, i am 29 yr old and have a varicocole. My sperm count was found to be 18 M. My family is looking fo a bride now.

My questions are as follows.
1) I heard there are drugs which increase sperm count. Should I consider taking them now? I am afraid Varicocole may cause progressive damage and decrease the count futhur. Can it be stopped or reversed with some medicines. if yes what medicines should Itake? or should i wait till after marriage?

2) I have one observation. my erections are not always as strong as they were say few years ago. Also does the intensity of orgasm go down with age?. I remember as a teen it use to be explosive and i could feel it all the way in my legs and back!!! like i would feel something moving in my legs just before ejaculating!!! .. I get decent erections and orgasm but that intensity is certainly not there any more. Should I worry? what can be done to get this intensity back?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 42 minutes later

The normal sperm count is over 15 million sperms. So you do not reuire any treatment at present. Varicocele treatment may also not be necessary. However, if your varicocele causes pain, testicular atrophy or infertility, you may want to undergo varicocele repair. In that case, surgery is the treatment option (laparascopic surgery). You can discuss this option with a surgeon after your marriage.

An erection problem is the inability to get or maintain an erection that is firm enough for a man to have intercourse. If the condition persists, the medical term is erectile dysfunction. Causes may be psychological ( in most young men), smoking, alcohol, illicit drugs and medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, low testosterone, depression, spinal cord and neurological causes. To exactly pinpoint a diagnosis you need to get a complete examination done from a urologist. In your case it looks more psychological because you were having strong erections.

I will describe some simple measures which you can incorporate and these should help you. First of all, quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any), indulge in physical exercise and eat a healthy diet. Have faith in yourself and do not take any stress. You can talk to your partner openly and indulge in plenty of foreplay before sex. Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise is very effective.

Sildenafil is the drug of choice for erectile dysfunction. However it is available only on a doctor's prescription who will also assess the type and cause of erectile dysfunction before prescribing any drug.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Have varicocole. Not having strong erection. Medicine to increase sperm count? 30 minutes later
thank you Dr XXXXXXX

the varicocole does feel like bag of worms but there is no pain. however are there any medicines which i can take in the mean time to protect my testes from furthur damage and improve the sperm count before marriage?

Given the fact that i have varicicole should i take any medicines or multivitamins for general sexual and reproductive health?(over and above the healthy life style and exercise which you recomend)

Also i dont have erectile dysfunction!!! my query was more towards the orgasm and pleasure from it.. I feel the intensity of orgasm has gone down. Is it normal? recently in one of newspaper column one doctor prescribed some ayurvedic medicine for longer and stronger erections and orgasms. your views pls?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

If you have a varicocele that causes you minor discomfort but doesn't affect your fertility, you may take over the counter painkillers. You can also provide support to the scrotum by wearing an athletic supporter.

The two most popular fertility drugs for women, clomiphene and human menopausal gonadotropin (hMG) used with human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), are also used to treat men with primary hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. However they should be taken only under medical guidance. You can also take supplements of zinc and folic acid which are thought to improve sperm count.

Decreased orgasm can be psychological related to varicocele in your case. If your morning erections are good then there is nothing to worry about and you should enjoy a good marital life with your wife. Lay all doubts to rest and have a good marital relationship with your wife.