Have varicocele in left testicle. Do not want surgery. Suggest exercise and diet plant for recovery

I am suffering from Varicocele in my left testicle. Please suggest me some exercise. I am not interested in any kind of surgery. For your infomation I workout with weights as well. Also, suggest me a good diet plan to recover from Varicocele, Reduce Fat and build Body Mass.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 40 minutes later
A varicocoele is an unusual swelling of veins which drain your testes. It has nothing to do with any exercise, nor will it ever come down with a diet. So as a urologist, I have no hesitation in recommending that you continue training with weights or work out as earlier.
I do not know if you have been advised surgery for this varicocoele, because we do not operate on them except in very select circumstances where we find that a grade II-III large varicocoele is contributing to infertility. A surgery for varicocoele is almost always never needed just because it exists or for pain or for cosmesis.
Hope this answers all your questions re varicocoele.
Follow-up: Have varicocele in left testicle. Do not want surgery. Suggest exercise and diet plant for recovery 1 hour later
Dear Dr. Sasanka,

Thank you so much for your reply. I had actually stopped going to the Gym after I came to know about my varicocele and started working out with light weights at home. I am glad to know that I can carry out my workout with weights. Can I continue going to the Gym, please advise, I am in a dilemma.

Does work out with weights increase the chance of varicocele to worsen the condition?

I did not visit any urologist so far, I got it checked only by my General Physician. YI was not advised for any kind of surgery. You are the first urologist I am taking advice from.

I am also wearing a Scrotal Suspensory support regularly. But also feel a mild pain from scrotal running down to my leg though there is no swelling in my testicle.

Please advice, thank you doctor.

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 8 hours later
Hi again,
As I said earlier, there is no reason for you to discontinue your sessions in the gym. Aerobic exercises are pretty useful in many ways, and please continue them as earlier. Training with weights is very unlikely to produce a varicocoele nor worsen an already existing varicocoele.
You need not wear a scrotal suspension support.This could actually cause increased heat in the scrotum locally which can theoretically cause testes to be heated beyond their optimum 35degrees Celsius, and can interfere with sperm production. Something like Boxer shorts may be more useful- elevating the scrotum without actual compression of testes. The pain you mentioned is unlikely to be due to varicocoele, and thus any correction for varicocoele may not necessarily reduce the pain.
As I said earlier, the only true indication for a surgery for varicocoele is when it has been established as a cause for male factor infertility.
Hope this answers all your questions.