Have vaginal discharge, foul smell, have latex allergy, taken Flagyl. Is it Gardnerella?

May 2013
Hi, i have an embarrasing problem. i have a new sexual partner and about 3 months into the relationship i developed a vaginal discharge and a horrible smell. we initially used condoms then we stopped, i have a latex allergy. i went to a doctor and she prescribed flagyl for 7 days and albothyl suppositories to use every other night. she also advise me to use an intimate wash daily. my problem disappeared. i continued to use the intimate wash daily. now its two months later and the same symptoms. 2 days into the treatment the smell and discharge is gone. the pharmacist said that the intimate wash is no good. i read somewhere that my body is not reacting well to the semen of my partner. he should ejaculate outside. i have discussed this with my partner, he is understanding. the obgyne said it is gardneralla. she said its not an sti. what is it???
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

gardnerella causes bacterial vaginosis which occur due to disruption of normal vaginal flora,
means lactobacillus will be present in the vagina and maintains acidic Ph in it, when because of some reasons disruption of that normal flora occurs anaerobic bacteria like gardnerella will increase and cause vaginitis.
in your case it is appearing that the causative factor for disruption of normal flora is allergy due to different things like latex of the condom, semen etc,
it is true that excessive use of disinfectants etc for washing the genitals can flareup the infection by disrupting the normal flora.
so once your symptoms get controlled with antibiotic therapy you try to avoid the things which are causing irritation, so the withdrawal method you are practicing is better option, try to use water only to clean the local parts and avoid other things like perfumed products, bubble bath etc which can increase the recurrence.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.