Have uterine fibroids and considering a myomectomy. Can I continue contraceptives after surgery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi, I have uterine fibroids and am considering a myomectomy as they are becoming painful due to increased presssure in the abdomen. I am currently taking XXXXXXX continuously due to heavy bleeding before fibroids were diagnosed. I would like to continue on this regimen. Would this be contraindicated after surgery?
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 59 minutes later
hi Julesgood,
thanks for the query.
XXXXXXX is a hormonal drospirenone which is a synthetic progesterone and ethinyl estradiol which is a estrogen.

Normally body estrogen and progesterone will lead to enlargement in the size of the fibroids.

But some studies are showing that oral pills reduced the size of fibroid may be because they contain less amount of hormones than natural hormones by ovary.

So if your doctor advices you can continue these tablets up to surgery.

Mostly fibroids will be responsible for your heavy bleeding by increasing the surface area and blood supply of the uterus , so after myomectomy you will possibly get relieved of this problem.

so depending on the condition after surgery, you can either stop or continue the tablets with your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Have uterine fibroids and considering a myomectomy. Can I continue contraceptives after surgery? 27 minutes later
I would like to avoid Lupron to shrink the fibroids before sugery. What is the current standard practice?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 32 minutes later
hi Julesgood,

Medicines can be used to decrease the size of the fibroids before surgery to avoid complications during surgery and need for blood transfusion.

These are,

-combined oral pills
- progesterone only pills
-intra uterine devices
-GnRH agonists like lupron

Lupron should be used only if surgery is going to plan,
nowadays it is used only,
-when heavy bleeding leading to anemia is there,
-in case of large size fibroids

because it is having side effects like menopausal symptoms, hot flushes etc
with long term use it can cause bone loss.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.