Have urine infection and feeling tired. Have low pulse rate. Safe to travel by air?

Mar 2013
I have just been to my GP with a urine infection and very tired. He said my pulse was low 47. He then did a ECG and this confirmed it. I am worried because I am flying to China from Australia in one weeks time.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 34 minutes later
Thank you for your health query.
Firstly, as you mentioned about your urine infection, kindly get a urine analysis and urine culture done.
Any kind of systemic infection etc. can cause fatigue and tiredness.
Also, you are 53, so I assume you must be menopausal, and the hormonal changes further cause fatigue and tiredness.
Regarding your pulse = 47, it is called Bradycardia in the context of adult medicine. It is the resting heart rate of under 60 beats per minute, though it is seldom symptomatic until the rate drops below 50 beats/min.
Trained athletes or young healthy individuals may also have a slow resting heart rate Resting bradycardia is often considered normal if you have no other symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, chest discomfort, palpitations or shortness of breath associated with it.
Most common causes of bradycardia are cardiac causes, and you need a complete cardiac evaluation for it.
Noncardiac causes are usually secondary, and can involve recreational drug use or abuse; metabolic or endocrine issues, especially in the thyroid; an electrolyte imbalance; neurologic factors; autonomic reflexes; situational factors such as prolonged bed rest; and autoimmunity.
If you are not symptomatic, you need no further medication.
However, before your intended long distance travel, I urge you to undergo the following :
1. Urine analysis and culture as indicated.
2. Complete cardiac evaluation by a cardiologist preferably.
3. Thyroid hormone evaluation
4. Complete blood count, electrolytes, renal and liver function tests.
5. A gynecological examination to evaluate your menopausal state, and for taking adequate supplements if indicated for your fatigue and general well being.

A regular fitness regimen and a balanced diet is completely essential.
You could try yoga /recreational techniques also.

In absence of any significant findings , you can plan your travel without worry.

Please take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.