Have urgency with Bowel Movement. Take probiotic, which has stopped diarrhea. Colonosocopy was clear. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I have urgency issues when a BM comes on and then after that I go multilple times throughout the day. I take a probiotic, which has stopped most of the diarrehea. I have had a colonosocopy and it is clear? Any suggestions?
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 50 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Every diarrhea which lasts longer than 48 hours should be diagnosed with stool tests. Such symptoms, when large intestine issues were ruled out (I assume that the colonoscopy were done recently), are most likely caused by chronic bacterial infection.

Due to bad bacteria presence in the bowels, the digestive tract can not work property. That is why it is very important to diagnose which bacteria is causing your symptoms and what is the best antibiotic to treat it.

If you have any abdominal pain, cramping, bloating and nausea, small intestine issues are also possible (like and obstruction due to adhesions). Adhesions can appear after every abdominal surgery. And you have had two of them.

If you have had gallbladder removal recently, increased bile secretion can cause such symptoms as well.

I suggest you to have some diagnostics. Stool tests and stool culture test should be done at first. If no infection will be found, abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) should be done as a next step.

Please also discuss with your doctor Rifaximine treatment.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.