Have urgency issue with bowel movement. Taking probiotic has helped. Colonoscopy was clear. Advise?

I have urgency issues when a BM comes on and then after that I go multilple times throughout the day. I take a probiotic, which has stopped most of the diarrehea. I have had a colonosocopy and it is clear? Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later

I can feel your concerns.

Its really tough to live with urgency, its good that you are using probiotics.

Along with that I recommend you to take tablet metronidazole 400 mg thrice a day for 5 days .
You should use ispaghol husk twice a week with water.

Take two glasses of water early in the morning.
Do not drink water just after your meals , wait for one hour and then take water.

Take vegetables and fresh juices. Walking for 30 minutes will be helpful.

I hope that your query is answered. If you have any other, I would be happy to answer .
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Have urgency issue with bowel movement. Taking probiotic has helped. Colonoscopy was clear. Advise? 1 hour later
I have had this problem virtually all my life. How will this five day treatment of metronidazole solve my problem?
The ispaghol husk helps to increase stool frequency for those that are constipated. I dont want to enhance my problem, are you sure you understand my question?
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 5 hours later
Thanks for your follow up query

Yes I understand you, Ispaghol husk works to wash out the contents of the gutand make it clear. It would not cause diarrhea. It will just clear the intestines so that you would pass stool only once or twice a day and the urgency will settle.
It has dual function.

Metronidazole and bismuth sulphate are useful to treat if there is any unnoticed infection. You can discuss with your doctor and take them if needed.

Hope I have made my self clear. If you do not have any other clarifications you can close the discussion and rate the query.