Ask a Urologist   »  

Have urge for frequent urination at night, burning sensation while urinating, cloudy urine. Remedy?

Jul 2016

Husband urge to urinate frequently at night, but then has difficulty going with stingy, burning sensation. Once urinates, stinging sensation goes away until the next episode. Usually doesn't empty bladder fully. Sometimes urgency to go and can't urinate. Maybe a dribble. Urine has bad ordor as well. Cloudy instead of clear urine. During the day almost normal. Takes furosemide (40 mg) for swelling of feet and potassium pill at same time. Has been taking this for years and only takes when feet are swollen (approx. 3 times per week). Husband is 71 years old and never had prostrate problem. However has erectile disfunction for past 7 years. Does this sound like a urinary infection and if so, can he do home remedy of some sort to avoid antibiotics?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your husband who is 71 years old has difficulty is passing urine,nocturnal frequency,urgency, hesitancy incomplete emptying of bladder etc

Considering his age and symptoms that he has he is likely to have Benign Enlargement of Prostate.associated with secondary UTI.
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following investigations done under his guidance to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine Routine and Urine culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen with post void urine residue.
3) Transrectal ultrasound scanning (TRUS)
4) Serum PSA.

His problem of erectile dysfunction seems to be age related .

Further treatment will be decided by him/her depending upon results of these test and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you