Have upset stomach, severe pain in head and back of neck. Cause and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 62 year old wife suddenly called me at work saying her head hurts a lot and the back of her neck down to the base. She is also having upset stomach and throwing up. This is not a chiropractic problem. BP 150/80, normal 125/70. temp normal.
never had migraines
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
From the symptoms it can be primary headache like migraine or sinus headache if she is having any cold or sinus congestion.
Migraine may present with headache for more than seventy-two hours and is often associated with vomiting, dizziness and visual problems.

For migraine headache, try these lifestyle modifications:

1) Go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day.
2) Exercise regularly (daily if possible) and limit stress through regular exercise and relaxation techniques.
3) Avoid bright or flashing lights and wear sunglasses if sunlight is a trigger
4) Identify and avoid foods that trigger headaches by keeping a headache and food diary and limit caffeine consumption to less than two caffeine-containing beverages a day.
5) She can also try over the counter pain killers like aspirin or acetaminophen. If still the symptoms persist, then please consult a physician for specific anti-migraine therapy (triptans and ergot preparations).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.