Have upper stomach pain and recently discovered to be gluten intolerant. Suggest?

I have upper stomach pain-quite severe. I have recently discovered that I am gluten intolerant.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute gastritis vs Acute pancreatitis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

Severe upper abdominal pain is usually acute gastritis which is easily treatable with anti gastric medications like Tab pantaprazole before breakfast.Apart from that please use these suggestions

1. Avoid gluten since you are intolerant
2. Do not skip meals, have your meals at the right time everyday
3. Avoid caffeine containing drinks for sometime
4. Avoid smoking and alcohol until the pain settles down
5. Do not go to bed atleast for two hours after dinner
6. Avoid bending exercises

If the pain still persists you might have to undergo an endoscopy to rule out an ulcer.

But what worries me here is that the stomach pain is quite severe and the other close differential for this is acute pancreatitis, in acute pancreatitis the pain will be quite severe and it radiates to the back, in which case you will have to go to a physician to get a serum lipase and serum amylase blood test done

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me