Have upper abdominal pain, constipation, abnormal lipase level, weight loss. Your thoughts?

General Surgeon
i am having upper abdominal pain, constipation, and my lipase level is 94. I have also lost a lot of weight. Can you tell me you thoughts on this?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Your lipase level is only slightly elevate. It does not indicate anything serious. Such level can appear due to spicy foods for example.
Upper abdominal pain most commonly is caused by stomach issues(peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or Helicobacter Pylori infection) or gallstones.
Stomach pain is usually located in the upper middle abdomen, appears after a meal. Nausea can be present.
Gallstones usually give upper middle and right pain, which radiates to the back. It can be triggered by fatty or spicy foods and alcohol. Nausea is very often present.
Constipation can be caused by bad diet (most common), medicines (Ca-blockers, antidepressants), chronic bowels infection, inflammatory bowels diseases (like Crohns disease).

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have abdominal ultrasound done. If no gallstones, gastroscopy should be next.

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, coffee (very important) and alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.