Have unprotected sexual exposure. ELISA test negative. Feeling lymph nodes on neck. Chances of contracting HIV?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi Doctor,
I have unprotectec sexual exposure thrice about six weeks ago which them i tested and results came negative using ELISA.Then 2 days ago i had protected sex with the escort.she was so hygenic and we changed three condoms during whole encounter.The condom was latex and i did also receive oral with condom.My questions now are
1.how much six weeks negative test result is effective?
2.how many chances of contracting HIV if the sex is protected but the opposite partner if was escort?
3.can someone feel lymp nodes on neck as am feeling pea sized lymph nodes(4) in different points on neck.is this the indication of being something wrong with me?
4.my 4 week ELISA test was negative then next 2 week ora quick test also showed negative but i did mistake again and did sex again but at that time it was totally protected.does this sex can produce any impression on my previous results?
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 11 days later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

Answer to question 1:

Incubation period /window period for HIV infection ranges form 4 weeks to 6 months usually. It is good that your six week ELISA test comes negative which indicates you are not infected right now but you should go for re-test after 6 months or earlier if you feel any symptoms suggestive of. There are some other tests like western blot test or HIV PCR (Polymerase chain reaction). You may consult venereal disease specialist for that.

Answer to question 2:

There is usually no chances to contract HIV if sex is protected provided it is completely protected and your penis did not touch her any mucosa, oral or vaginal in unprotected manner.

Answer to question 3:

There are possibilities to feel lymph nodes around neck particularly if you are thin skinned. If they are swollen, enlarged, painful o hard, you should consult your doctor.

Answer to question 4:

Protected sex will not affect the previous results provided it is completely protected.

You should use barrier contraception regularly while having sex to prevent contracting sexually transmitted diseases.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Have unprotected sexual exposure. ELISA test negative. Feeling lymph nodes on neck. Chances of contracting HIV? 6 minutes later
thanks Doctor
I have consult other doctors in canada and they said that 6 weeks result is highly unlikely to change and no need for further testing.6 weeks are about 95 % accurate.What would u say?

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 12 minutes later
Thanks for reverting to me.

The result is obviously accurate. But there is window period up to 6 months in case of HIV.

SO if you have any symptoms suggestive off, you may go for re-test.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have any query.

If you do not have any query, Please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Have unprotected sexual exposure. ELISA test negative. Feeling lymph nodes on neck. Chances of contracting HIV? 1 minute later
6 months is very long time to wait sir...i dont know about HIV but i will certainly die coz of awaiting such a long time.I heard that 3 month period is also conclusive.Can you suggest any modern test for my mind peace as 6 month is very long period.Thanks

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 7 minutes later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

You should not worry about. If you have symptoms , then and then you should go for repeat test. There are usually very low chances to come positive.

Western blot test or HIV polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests are also of confirmatory value. You may consult your doctor for the same.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Thanks.