Have unprotected sex. Tingling and burning penis, red bumps on penis tip, itchy. Bacterial infection from partner?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hello, me and my girlfriend have been together almost 5 yrs and we have unprotected sex. For the past few months after we have sex my penis starts to tingle and burn and the following day a small rash appears on the tip of my penis looks like small red bumps. It bothers burns and itches at times. My girlfriend has had issues with her IUD. She had to remove it once because was causing bad bacterial infections. She inserted the IUD again and I think she may be giving the bacterial infection to me, is this possible? Please help
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
It would be helpful if you could attach photo,but yes, unfortunately this is possible and it could be bacterial but also viral or yeast infection. Tingling can be sign of herpes infection. But it can also be some more benign condition such as irritation or allergy.SInce it lasts for so long, you both need to do STD testing or other specific blood tests.
IUDs is not the most optimal contraceptive and it is not recommended to use it again if there is history of pelvic or vaginal infection. It can cause bacterial infections in women and then it can be transmissed to men,especially clamydia, gonnorhea and anaerobal bacterias. Till you do tests, you can apply some mild topical steroid creams for genitals which can be found in pharmacy,but I suggest to do those testings because antibiotic or antiviral therapy may be necessary.

If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. ish you good health. Regards

Follow-up: Have unprotected sex. Tingling and burning penis, red bumps on penis tip, itchy. Bacterial infection from partner? 55 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Romic, yes it's been happening for quite some time now and my girlfriend has her yearly follow up with her Gyno within 2 weeks. I've been worried because I don't have medical insurance and more so relying on her results. My girlfriend thinks she has either yeast or bacterial infection and that she could have passed it on to me. Yet she has no side effects of yeast infection. I was just skeptical and it has had me super worried, i needed to hear from an expert. I have applied monistat and that clears it up right away. I feel that since she hasn't treated the infection it keeps being passed on to me. If its considered a bacterial infection is there a form of medication or antibiotic I can take? Again thank you for your help and all your input.

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
Hi.

you should not worry. Such infections are common and easy treatable,especially in men. This will not cause anything serious and can even subside spontaneously. Monistat, nystatine or some other mild corticosteroid is helfpul for rash and symptoms in most cases. it will reduce inflammation especailly if this is yeast infection(but yeast inf. manifest with witheish,itchy rash). If there is no penis discharge or pus filled lesions then this is nothing serious and such creams may be enough for treatment.
But if this is caused by STD(clamydida or gonnorhea) ,or if you have discharge and painful urination, then you need specific antibiotic treatment taken "per os". Antibiotic creams are usually not helpful in such cases. You would need 7-10 days of doxicicline or 3-5 days of azitromicine for those infections,but I am not sure is this available in your place without prescription. Also, this should not be taken if the exact microbe isnt verified by testing.
So I suggest to have protected intercourse in next 2 weeks and use some of these creams and see will there be improvement or aggravation.
Nothing serious can happen in short time and if you dont have other symptoms.
If your symptoms persist or progress and if there is verified bacterial infection in your GF, you should do testing.Even basic urine analysis would be helpful for start.
I am sure you will feel better soon. Feel free to ask.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have unprotected sex. Tingling and burning penis, red bumps on penis tip, itchy. Bacterial infection from partner? 2 hours later
Again thank you for your time and all the information. You have answered my concerns and feel better now after consulting with you. I really hope it is just a minor treatable infection. Again thanks ;)

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 8 hours later
Hi. You are welcome.
Trust me,this is commonly seen and it isnt indicating anything serious. Just be caotious and watch for new signs and symptoms.