Have unopened pressure sore on heel. How to get relief from this?

My grandmother has an unopened pressure sore on her heel. I know that her's is in either the: "Unstageable stage: Full thickness tissue loss in which actual depth of the ulcer is completely obscured by slough (yellow, XXXXXXX gray, XXXXXXX or brown) and/or eschar (tan, brown or black) in the wound bed. Until enough slough and/or eschar is removed to expose the base of the wound, the true depth, and therefore stage, cannot be determined. Stable (dry, adherent, intact without erythema or fluctuance) eschar
on the heels serves as “the body’s natural (biological) cover” and should not be removed XXXXXXX OR "Stage I: Intact skin with non-blanchable redness of a localized area usually over a bony prominence. Darkly pigmented skin may not have visible blanching; its color may differ from the surrounding area. The area may be painful, firm, soft, warmer or cooler as compared to adjacent tissue. Stage I may be difficult to detect in individuals with dark skin tones. May indicate “at risk” persons (a heralding sign of risk) XXXXXXX They say that: "necrotic tissue should be removed in most pressure ulcers. The heel is an exception in many cases when the limb is poorly perfused XXXXXXX I don't know what a poorly perfused limb is. Is it a heel that gets little blood? How would I know such a thing? Both her GP and dermatologist are out of town, so I feel resourceless. Please advise. Also, is Epsom salt soaking okay for this? It does provide relief, but I don't want to exacerbate the problem. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
The pressure sores on the heel are usually the result of constant pressure on the heel.
This is very common problem of bed ridden patients.
You should ensure that the heel is off the bed, you can keep an air bag or a window slab to reduce pressure.
Poorly perfused limb means the limb is getting less blood supply as compared to it metabolic demands.
The leg and foot receive less blood supply as compared to other body areas.
The limb is called poorly perfused when the blood supply is further hampered due to some problems. Local issues like atherosclerosis of lower limb arteries, XXXXXXX vein thrombosis and dependent edema in bedridden patients.
When blood pressure is low or the patient is on blood pressure support medicines like vasopressor infusions then a suboptimal blood circulation is there.
These problems are much more common in the elderly who have comorbidities like diabetes, hypertension, immobility etc.
Epsom salt soaking twice a day is a good option and would help reducing swelling and provide soothing effect.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Have unopened pressure sore on heel. How to get relief from this? 11 minutes later
She isn't bed ridden and is staying off the heel as much as she can. What can we do to encourage this to heal as quickly as possible? Thanks so much for you first response.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 17 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
There is no magic wand to cure such cumbersome troubles as the pressure sores.
You should follow the advise given in the previous answer.
Ensure that she gets good nutrition with protein supplement in addition to above.
A good limb physiotherapy and active limb exercises would improve circulation.
Avoid hypotension by fine tuning the antihypertensive medicines.
There is a preparation called Wasa Mousse, this keeps the skin healthy and supposed to protect from bed sores, so apply it at the time of back care so to avoid further bed sores.
Wish you a great health!
Follow-up: Have unopened pressure sore on heel. How to get relief from this? 35 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 7 hours later
Take care!
I wish your grandmother good recovery and a great health!