Have undergone daily water enema now have side effect. Now have bloating after food. Advise?

I have undergone daily water enema for 10 years (1 litre of water 3 times). It has made my life more manageable then earlier. However the long term impact of this is surely harmful . I have tried food with roughage, isabgul and the like but it just bloats me up and makes it even more difficult. Please advise.
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer is that doing enemas daily for many years is not harmful.
Detailed answer...
Taking enema is much better as against keeping yourself chronically constipated.
Enema helps in strengthening and increasing the muscle tone and power of intestines.Chronic constipation results in weakening of muscle tone of intestines.
In fact doing enema with plain water should be avoided because it can result in electrolytes and mineral imbalance in body.
If you are doing water enema,then you should regularly consume grapefruit juices,vegetable soups and fresh fruit juices.It is also recommended to eat more yoghurt and other probiotics.
As against plain water,one may put a teaspoon of non iodised common salt so as to make it isotonic solution.
Insertion of enema tube should be done gently with proper lubrication so as to avoid injury to mucosa of your rectum.
In my opinion,you can carry on with your daily enema.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Have undergone daily water enema now have side effect. Now have bloating after food. Advise? 4 days later
That's the most unexpected unconventional answer that I have got so far. I agree that this has changed my life for the positive. But I am constrained to travel carefully, it takes me one and half hours to be ready in the morning and also I worry about what I'll do when I get older and things like that. What do you suggest should be my approach going forward? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
I know there are very divergent views regarding the use of enema for longterm but in my view it is definitely a very good thing for your body and you also feel the same.
The point you have raised is definitely valid in the sense that you may definitely find it difficult when you grow old.
Considering this situation,you may start reducing your frequency of doing your enema from daily to alternative days and subsequently reducing it to once or twice a week maximum.
You may increase your water intake,take more of foods which are high fibre and high residue in nature like oat XXXXXXX wheat XXXXXXX brown rice,green vegetables,apples,pears etc.
You can have psyllium husk or whole flax seeds ( without chewing them ) for increase of fibre content of your food.
Along with this do regular exercises like brisk walking for at least 45 minutes a day.
I hope it helps.