Have under active thyroid. Any other way to check other than blood test?

Apr 2014

hi have an under active thyroid and want to know if there is any other way other than blood tests you can check it
i have been feeling very flat lately more so than usual,my problem is i dislike going to see doctors because i cannot seem to find one that i like and feel comfortable with, i have not been for a check up for two years. what happens if i dont sort things out with my thyroid

Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
clinical,Ultrasound,CT Scan,radionuclide exam

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

First, very friendly I advice you that best person for your treatment is only the doctors. No one else can give you correct advice.
So, please be in contact with your physician and follow their advice.

Besides blood test, Thyroid function can be assessed by clinical methods.There are various systemic manifestations of thyroid dysfunction and it can be assessed by clinician.

Other methods that we use to assess thyroid gland are ultrasound, CT Scan,MRI and radionuclide study.
Ultrasound is very informative and is very helpful in screening. Most diseases are associated with changes in thyroid appearance.
CT Scan can be done if it is needed and for detail examination.
MRI can also be done in complicated cases like cancer to show the invasion of lesion to surrounding structures.
Radionuclide study is done for assessing functional status of thyroid gland.

If you don't sort out your thyroid problem it may have systemic manifestations depending upon whether you are hypo or hyper thyroid.
Effects of hypo functioning of thyroid are weight gain, altered lipid profile,,lethargy,depression etc.
Hyper functioning of thyroid may lead to aggressiveness,insomnia,hypertension,weight loss etc.

So, have control on your thyroid function by regular checkup.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further query is most welcome.
Get well soon.

Take Care