Have umbilical hernia protruding from my belly button. Was recommended for open surgery. Suggestions?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello Doctor,

I am 33, male, based in Mumbai. My height is 5.9 feet and weight is 85 kgs. Since last 8 years, I have a slight umbilical hernia protruding from my Belly button which possibly resulted out of a gym workout. Recently, it has started bulging a little more outside. I am also attaching a photo of the same in sitting position. The hernia is not painful, but it is obvious and being a sportsman, I feel limited sometimes. I am afraid to undertake certain sports for the fear of worsening it.

I showed the hernia to a specialist (general surgeon) and he recommended a surgery, an open one. He also mentioned that the hernia is about 1.5 cm in size and does not go inside when pushed.

I have a few questions

1. Do I need a surgery? What are risks associated with surgery? Do you think my hernia will reduce if I reduce my weight?
2. What are the risk factors involved if I don't go for surgical process.
3. Which surgery is better, open or laproscopic? I was under the impression that laproscopic surgery is better for smaller hernia and open surgery for bigger ones. But the doctor recommended the opposite.
4. Laproscopic vs Open! How much times it takes for surgery, hospital stay, and recovery process?
5. Can you recommend the 2-3 best doctors/surgeons in Mumbai who could perform this surgery, if required?
6. Is there a chance of the recurrence of the hernia again in future?

Please post your thoughts.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 37 minutes later

Thanks for writing in

PF the reply to your queries :
1] Surgery is recommended as it is irreducible and increasing, all adverent risk with surgery are always there, no it won't reduce

2] It can increase and become obstructed if bowel is the content

3]Each has its own merits and demerits, laparoscopy will be better in safe hands

4] Depends on the experience of the surgery but around 1.5 hours, recovery two weeks

5] You need to ask yellow pages people

6] Yes .....

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern