Have ulcerative colitos. Diagnosed with anal fissure. Prescribed rectogesic. Have enlarged vaginal lip. Linked to fissure?

Hi, I have ulcerative colitos and last week was diagnosed having an anul fissure. I'm currently working in spain and was only given these details. I think from researching a little that I have chronic anul fissure due to the skin tag I have by my anus. I have been prescribed rectogesic which I'm using twice a day but after 1 wk now there's no improvement. Every bm is agony and I'm very depressed. I am a dancer and work every day and simply cannot cancel shows. If you can give me any advice or info please. Also, I have a very enlarged vagina lip. Only on one side which feels bruised. Could this be linked to the fissure?
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 8 days later

Thanks for asking.

An anal fissure or rectal fissure is a break or tear in the skin of the anal canal. Most anal fissures are caused by stretching of the anal mucosa beyond its capability.Chronic constipation is one of the most common reason of the anal fissure.

Non-surgical treatments are recommended initially for acute and chronic anal fissures.These include topical nitroglycerin or calcium channel blockers, or injection of botulinum toxin into the anal sphincter.

Other measures include warm sitz baths, topical anesthetics, high-fiber diet and stool softeners.

Surgical procedures are generally reserved for people with anal fissure who have tried medical therapy for at least one to three months and have not healed.

I do not think so that enlarged vulva is because of the anal fissure.

Try the sitz bath, high fibre diet and avoid constipation,if still not right in 2-3 months, surgery may be needed.

If you need further information, please let me know.