Have ulcerative colitis and taking remicaid infusion therapy. Suggest alternatives to treat ulcerative colitis?

Hi. I have ulcerative colitis and have been taking remicaid infusion therapy. I am no longer eligible for financial assistance through the hospital and because of preexisting conditions I can't afford the health insurance that is becoming available through the Affordable ( ? ) Care Act. The drug company will continue to provide the drug at no cost for at least another year but the administration of the drug is not covered and is more than I can afford. Do you know of any alternatives to having untreated UC ?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam ,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your query i will like to tell you that in my opinion Remicade definitely remains one of the best therapies because it acts on the molecular level and a biological therapy . But there are other effective options also .

Aminosalicylates are the main anti-inflammatory drugs like Mesalazine ,Olsalazine etc. which are very effective in ulcerative colitis . It is often necessary to use Corticosteroids like prednisone , cortisone in conjunction with 5-ASA drugs to bring about remission of ulcerative colitis .

Other drugs are immunosupressive agents like methotrexate , azathioprine etc .
All these are effective therapies . It depends on your treating physician to choose which therapy will be more effective as he is the best judge for your situation.

Dr. Shruti