Have ulcerative colitis and anal fissure. Bowel movement causing pain. Taking rectogesic makes heart race and swollen vagina

I have ulcerative colitos and just been diagnosed with anul fissure. The constant bm are causing unbearable pain and I'm working in spain where I struggle to get answers. I've been prescribed rectogesic but I'm not sure if this is helping and makes my heart race after I use it. I also have one enlarged vagina lip. It's not sore, just swollen. Is this linked to the fissure? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feeling very depressed.
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Guru 2 hours later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

I am really sorry for your pain and ill health.

As you have Ulcerative colitis, your pain with bowel movement may be due to anal fissure or may be due to the complication of Ulcerative colitis like proctitis which is inflammation close to the region of anus.

Rectogesic contains a drug called Glyceryl trinitrate . This drug as an ointment helps to give some relief from the pain due to anal fissure and also assists in its healing process.This medicine usually acts locally but when rarely enters into blood stream, causes a drop in blood pressure and which in turn can make you feel dizzy and you may feel your heart racing. This is not good and needs an attention from your treating doctor.

Regarding enlarged vaginal lip, it may or may not be related. Two possibilities exists like because of pain or infection in the nearby area, there may be reactive response. Also it may be completely a different problem like skin infection due to boil or some other infection.

Your anal fissure may need some other treatment options like surgical intervention as it is not getting healed with conservative measures. Moreover, it may also be due to proctitis related to ulcerative colitis. I advise you to consult a Surgical Gastroenterologist to get a proper evaluation and treatment accordingly, in order to get rid of these problems.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:

Wish you good health.