Have ulcerative colitis. Had gall bladder removed. Experiencing chest pain and breathing difficulty. Any relief?

Hi I am a 55 year old woman with a history of UC. I had a total colectomy in 2000 and have an ileal anal J pouch. I have UC again b/c my surgeon left an inch too much of my intestine and the disease infected my intestine again. I had my gall bladder removed in 2001 during my reversal of my iliostomy. I have been dealing with the colotomy and the past year or so I've been experiencing severe pain in my chest. similiar to when I had my gall bladder attack. The pain is intense and severe. I can't move or breathe when they occur. They last between 5 to 15 minutes and I have an attack up to 2 to 3 times a day...then I will go a few days and luckily not have another. I had the scope thru my groin to my heart and all was ok. I was informed my liver enzymes were "off the charts" but I didn't go back to find out what the numbers were. The cardiologist wanted to do more tests and did blood work but I haven't heard from him with the results. I am wondering can I have stones that are causing me this severe pain. The pain is exactly what i felt when I had my gallbladder attacks. The pain is so severe. I feel another attack coming on as I type this now. I am 5'2" and weigh 150lbs. Can you shed some light on this pain I have? I live with severe pain but when it becomes debilitating that is when it is enough. Thank you for your time in answering my question.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Sorry to hear the long and complicated events in your story but you are facing them boldly.
This one too will pass.
Don’t worry.

Follow up with your cardiologist and have the tests done as advised – he will exclude Coronary artery disease or pericarditis. It is possible, but not very likely / yet need to be excluded.

Your description is highly suggestive of biliary colic – pain that is intermittent / character exactly like the one from gall stones before / impaired liver enzymes – all are very suggestive.
After surgery, the bile ducts dilate with time and partially compensate the function of the gall bladder, that has been removed. The cause that was responsible for the stones initially (we can’t find out in most cases) - could cause it again / now in the remaining duct.
You sound right and intelligent and your diagnosis of stone must be the first priority – Ultrasonography or CT scan must be done to exclude it, before ruling in any other possibility.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck