Have ulcerative colitis. About 4 inch section at the sigmoid colon. Taking Prednisone. Suggestions?

I have ulcerative colitis...just about a 4 inch section at the sigmoid colon. I cannot get the urgency and bleeding/gas to stop no matter what medication I am on (unless prednisone). Any suggestions? I am 43 years old and literally feel like I am dying from the inside out.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Multiple agents now

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the reply. I emphatize with you since UC sometimes can be very tough to treat, and patient response to medications is very individualized. Now, there are a host of new medications that can be tried for immune supression, and if you have not tried some of them, they continue to be valid options that you can discuss with your GI doctor:

Unfortunately, some people don't even respond to these, and then total colectomy is the way to go; it is a lifestyle changing procedure, but for pure UC it is curative

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN