Have ulcer in cheek and sore throat. Chances of getting HIV through oral contact?

HIV AIDS Specialist
A few weeks ago, things got intimate after a date with a guy I had been out with a few times. We made out for awhile, then gave each other oral. He did not come close to ejaculating in my mouth, but there could have been some precum. I also had a small ulcer (not bleeding) on my cheek. The next day, I felt under the weather with a scratchy throat and hot flashes that lasted one day. He also got sick with a very bad flu that weekend. This past weekend, I had the sore throat and hot flashes again, but had been around several sick people at work.

I do not know this guy's HIV status and am afraid to ask him. I'm worried because he likes an AIDS advocacy group (ARC of Ohio) on his Facebook page. With my symptoms and situation, do I need to be worried? Thank you.
Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Chances of getting HIV through oral contact are actually negligible even if you had ulcer in your cheek. Even if the precum also likely contained infectious virus, the chances of getting HIV is remote.

Through an oral contact, the possibility of other bacterial throat infection is much higher. Therefore your current Flu like symptoms are more likely due to the bacterial (Streptococcal) sore throat rather than due to Acute HIV infection.

The symptoms of HIV acute infection or primary infection will likely to occur after 3-4 weeks of the risky exposure. If you already have crossed 4 weeks after your first risky contact with that guy, then better to have a HIV test, preferably with, DNA PCR or P24 antigen test and rule out the HIV.

Always stick to protected sex even for oral contact by using condoms.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Dr S.Murugan