Have typhoid fever, taking treatment. Does this fever affect the fetus?

I am 3 months pregnant now , I am having Typhoid fever , I'm taking treatment also. I had Typhi H 1:320 & Typhi O 1:320 Positive . Does this fever affect the baby
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 45 minutes later

The widal test which you’ve done is positive in significant titers and is indicative of typhoid fever.

Typhoid bacterium doesn’t cross the placenta and has no deleterious effect on the growing baby and thus you needn’t worry about the same.

Ceftriaxone which is available in the injectable form can be used for the treatment of typhoid fever and is quite safe to be used during the pregnancy.

Importantly, ceftriaxone is required for a week to 10 days for an adequate clearing of the bacteria from the system.

Please be assured that this fever will not have any effect on the growing baby and you can safely continue with the pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.