Have typhoid and having problem with passing stool. What precaution should be taken?

Hi Doc... I am having problem with my stomach infection for almost 2 years.. I am very prone to this disease.Recently I had Typhoid and since then I am problem with passing stool..Sometimes mucus is coming out or the stool is oily type... Please advise on this what measures should I take to avoid the re occurrence of this.

Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later

You have mentioned about your stomach problem for the past 2 years. I presume it is a mix of symptoms like stomach discomfort, acidity and diarrheal episodes.

When this problem has been occurring so often, you must identify the source of infection. If you eat out too often, like canteen food or drink water available everywhere without ensuring it is clean or contaminated, you can easily acquire gut infections.

Typhoid is also spread through poor hygiene like ingestion of contaminated food and water and as you mentioned, you had it recently.

So the most important measure should be to consume only distilled water and take food that is freshly prepared, clean and preferably at home. XXXXXXX leafy vegetables for example may appear clean but have to be thoroughly washed before consumption.

So once your ongoing dysentery is treated with the medication you mentioned, ie darolac and ciprofloxacin, start afresh by being selective in what you eat and take utmost care in ensuring the food and water is always clean.

Take tablet albendazole to deworm your gut just to be on the safer side. You can do deworming once every 6 months.

The presence of mucous in stool may indicate infection. You can get a stool routine test done to confirm the presence of stool infection when you pass mucous in stools.

I hope I have answered your query.
You can revert back with any questions.
Follow-up: Have typhoid and having problem with passing stool. What precaution should be taken? 10 hours later
Hello Dr. Asra,

Thanks for your above suggestion. I work in a IT firm and stay away from my family with my friends. Hence I need to take canteen food during lunch and breakfast. I am really worried and scared for this problem. I sometimes wonder I consume the same food as of my friends but I got infected which scared me thinking of I can have any big problem in my XXXXXXX body part (Digestive system,intestine which got infected often). I visit to doctor very often. At this stage of life this is embarrassing and I am leading a life of discomfort which affects my working life.

Could you please advise me on my below queries.

1. What kind of food should I avoid and/or what kind of food should I consume t prevent re-occurrence of this disease.

2. How to boost up the immune system as taking lots of drugs (medicines,antibiotic) affecting my immunity system.

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 3 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing back.

Since it has now been ascertained you consume canteen food, you must take a few precautions.

Regarding your first query:

1. Avoid "chutni" and "local sauce" as these are prepared in very large amounts and kept for several days till the stock get over. Often it gets contaminated and is a common source of infection.

2. Avoid fruit juices from canteen. Instead buy fruits, wash thoroughly at home and consume the same day.

3. Do not drink water from canteen. Use distilled water, packaged water or water from an Aquaguard source only.

4. Food items prepared from rice like idli must be consumed fresh. Idli which has been re warmed or consumed the next day can be a source of infection.

Regarding your second query:

1. Fresh fruits and vegetables are a good source of improving immunity.

2. Soups which are now available in ready mix forms can be easily prepared at home by adding clean water. You must keep a few packets at home and take one daily. It is a XXXXXXX source of energy and calories.

3. Avoid smoking and drinking.

4. Ensure you always get adequate sleep.

I hope I have cleared your doubts.