Have type 2 diabetes, frequent painful urination with a white gritty substance. Should I consult a doctor?

My husband has frequent painful urination with a white gritty substance in it. He has type 2 diabetes and has been on insulin for almost a year. His calcium levels have been high. The doc has been monitoring it. With this urination problem. Should he see a doc? Email to YYYY@YYYY .

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 19 minutes later

In view of symptoms and his diabetic status, there are two possibilities.It is either obstructed kidney stone or urine might be casts, dissolved stones with may be pus cells.

He needs urine analysis and after that if needed a course of antibiotics.A sonography of urinary system can also be undertaken for kidney stone.

In my view he needs to see doctor and get investigations done.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.