Have type 2 diabetes and hypertension. Test showed high ALT and AST level. What to do?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am 75 pounds overweight with a BMI over 38. I also have type 2 diabetes with loads of insulin daily, and hypertension.

I have applied for bariatric surgery.

Over 17 years ago, I drank heavily. I also had, unbeknownst at that time, hepatitis c. The hepatitis c has been, as much as can be determined, cured. It has been negative for nearly 10 years with threatment of interferon and ribavirin.

I no longer drink expect occassionally.

My ALT is 139. My AST is 44. Both numbers are technically high. Do you believe these numbers will rule me out of candidacy for bariatric surgery?
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 18 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Raised liver enzymes are suggestive of mild alteration in the liver function. If it is associated with fatty liver then it merits treatment until the enzymes come down to normal. An ultrasound is also required to look for cirrhotic changes in view of past infection with hepatitis C. Once these issues are resolved them you can undergo bariatric surgery.
However it is always essential especially before undergoing metabolic surgery to have a normal liver because baraitric surgery causes a significant alteration in the metabolism of fats ,carbohydrates and proteins in the liver and thereby in the body.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards