Have type 2 diabetes. Headache, MRI showed calcium deposits and spinal fluid behind eyes. Any thoughts?

I m a 50 year old female with type 2 diabetes. I have been having severe headaches for several weeks now. Recently had an MRI with contrast which showed a few calcium deposits and spinal fluid behind my eyes. My headaches are sometimes behind my eyes yet I also have pain in the back right side of the head. Recently, I had a massage and was told that this area felt as if I had a balloon filled with liquid there. Any thoughts?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later

Thanks for the query

Regarding the chronic severe headache in you I can think of several possibilites in someone who is suffering from Type 2 Diabetes mellitus. Common causes of headache in people of your age are hypertension and worsening of undiagnosed and partially treated migraine. Rarely meningitis, vasculitis of the CNS and benign intracranial hypertension can present with severe headache's.

MRI of the brain can shows small specks of calclium and is normal for your age. Normally spinal fluid is seen sorrounding the optic nerves and is more prominent in conditions where the spinal fluid pressure is increased. Best way to confirm this is get your fundus checked for papilledema.

So I personally feel you need to see a Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation for signs of raised intracranial pressure and meningitis. If hypertension and migraine is not the cause of headache, you need to undergo spinal tap to measure the CSF pressure and to exclude meningits.

I thank you again for submitting the query. Hope, I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr Shiva Kumar R.
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist
Follow-up: Have type 2 diabetes. Headache, MRI showed calcium deposits and spinal fluid behind eyes. Any thoughts? 39 minutes later
I am already being treated for high blood pressure and this has been good lately. As a matter of fact we reduced my meds about 4 mo. ago. Migraines have never been a problem before.

Since I am not having a fever just the severe headache with some vision problems do you really think it would be meningitis?

The neurosurgeon that I saw suggested that I see an ophthalmologist would you suggest I see one or go directly to a neurologist?

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 19 minutes later

Thanks for the query

As suggested earlier best way to look for raised intracranial pressure is to look at the fundus. So you need to see a Opthalmologist before you see a Neurologist. Regarding the other possibilities like meningitis, it may or may not be associated with fever particularly if some is diabetic.

So I request you to see the eye doctor first and then to consult your Neurologist for further evaluation.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist