Have type 1 diabetes. No energy, weight loss, diarrhea. Want to gain weight

Question
Hi, I am 71 years old female and a type 1 diabetic for over 30 years, I did weigh 120 lb. over a year ago. Now, I am 102
pounds and wearing size 4 petite. I would really like to get back to at 120 lb. and feel much better about my appearance.
I do not have the energy like I did about 8 months ago. I had a real bad diarrhea problem for almost over a month and lost all of my weight. Can you help me. XXXX
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 32 minutes later

You may have lost weight due to protein energy malnutrition secondary to the diarrhea you had for a long period. Such lost weight is easy to gain just through good diet and exercise.

Do consume protein XXXXXXX diet specially in the night meal and exercise in the morning which can a brisk walk for few minutes. The proteins build the body and they are easily incorporated into the musculature by exercise.

Also do take Multivitamin supplements which is essential for healthy and permanent weight gain.

Hope, I answered your query.

Follow-up: Have type 1 diabetes. No energy, weight loss, diarrhea. Want to gain weight 15 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you very much for your answer. I understand the need for proper diet and exercise, however, as a type one diabetic, it is necessary to watch my carbohydrate intake as too many elevates my blood sugar. I am on an insulin pump. Carbohydrates would be good for gaining weight but I have to be careful not to eat too many. Any further suggestions?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 minutes later

Though Carbs are good for weigh gain but the weight gained is not an healthy one. High carbohydrate diet may increase fats which is not a good weight and you may loose in short periods of starvation.

High protein diet is what I recommend for healthy weight gain.

Do consume lots of vegetables with high protein diet which help to keep the sugar levels in limits.

Follow-up: Have type 1 diabetes. No energy, weight loss, diarrhea. Want to gain weight 8 minutes later
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I WILL GIVE THIS A TRY.... WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WEIGHT I HAVE GAINED IN A FEW MONTHS. MAKE A NOTE ON YOUR DESK, SO YOU WILL REMEMBER MY QUESTIONS AS TO WEIGHT GAIN,
TALK TO YOU IN A FEW MONTHS......THANKS, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 25 minutes later
Sure,

Will be waiting to read from you.

Wish you good health.