Have twitching of the ring finger. Should I be worried?

My ring finger on my left hand has been twitching involuntarily for the last several days. It doesn't do it all the time. When I rest on my left elbow on a desk or table, and hold my hand facing downward (as if playing the piano), my left ring finger is likely to twitch a little. While it twitches, it sometimes bends/curls back toward my palm. Is this something I should worry about? I've been meaning to call the doctor but haven't yet.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

The twitching of the ring finger that you have described is likely to be related to ulnar nerve compression or inflammation. Most commonly it is caused by a tennis elbow or cubital tunnel syndrome.

You can help the improvement by-
1. Give adequate rest to the arm.
2. Apply cold therapy.
3. Get some anti-inflammatory medication prescribed from your orthopedician.
4. Immobilize the arm for a short period.
5. stretching exercises are helpful under the care of a physiotherapist.
Surgery might be needed in severe cases with persistent symptoms.

Please do consult an orthopedician or a neurologist for proper treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.