Have twitching in the upper arm at times and also around mouth. Cause?

I have twitching in the upper arm at times and also around my mouth. Can see the twitching
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Knowing for how long you have been experiencing this, whether they are painful or not, for how long they stay when you experience them, when do you experience them most and if you have identified any situations that cause them could be very useful.

However, minor painless and short lived twitches , should not be a call for concern, especially when they last for less than 5 to 10 seconds, are not so frequent and are painless. Frequent and painful twitches call for a complete clinical review. The commonest cause of painful forms are low Blood calcium, low Vitamin D and low Magnesium levels.

Painful twitches are seen in more complex and rarer conditions like tetanus and some neurologic conditions.

Your past medical history does not actually bring out any risk factor for serious twitching. If its not frequent and short lived, especially if others have not noticed or signaled to you, you might not have to worry. Serum Calcium, Vitamin D and Magnesium level measurements could be sufficient. But if otherwise (too frequent, painful), you might have to book an appointment with neurologist for a complete clinical review and electrophysiological testing. But from what you describe, I do not think it something very serious. Thanks and wishing you good health. Feel free asking further questions in case you need more insights.

Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.