Have twisted neck with a smashed disk. Feeling lightheaded and have swollen neck. Treatment?

I have a twisted neck with a smashed disk so my neck muscles swell a lot and cause me to be light headed everytime almost every day for the last 4 months. I have been going to the chiropractor and he tells me that he can't get my neck any better. Is there anything I can do to stop this and if i can't stop this is the light headedness going to cause other problems? I also have used cold pacs and hots packs. I just don't want to have to use them the rest of my life. I need a real solution.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 50 minutes later
Hello sir,
Thank you very much for posting this question in XXXXXXX

Let me tell you that a given medical problem in patient can be related to various causes and the aim of treating doctor is to establish the cause so that management and counseling becomes easy.

I have noted your symptoms.

You basically need to be examined by a local neurologist who will determine if there are any neurological deficits by the clinical examination. This will guide us regarding the need of MRI scan of the spine and lower back.

If you don’t have any neurological deficits and MRI scan doesn’t show any major problem, conservative treatment like Gabapentine, pregabalin and regular physiotherapy may help.

On the other hand, if there are neurological deficits and MRI scan shows some problem, you may benefit with surgical treatment.

A remote second possibility of dystonia of cervical region cannot be excluded, unless a clinical examination is performed. If it turns out so, you will benefit with botulinum toxin injections.

So, in order to establish the diagnosis, I strongly advise you to see a local neurologist. His clinical assessment and investigations will help you to narrow down the diagnosis and he will guide you further regarding the management.

Hope this will help you.

I will be happy to help you further

Wish you good health     

Dr Gopal Krishna Dash MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology ), Post-doctoral fellowship (Epilepsy)
Consultant Neurologist and Epileptologist
Apollo Hospital