Have twinges in lower back and below shoulder blade. Feeling like muscle strain. Is it related to kidney problem?

i have twinges in my lower back up to just below my shoulder blades also twinges around the bottom of my ribs I have had these for about 2 months, they come and go. sometimes feels like a muscle strain but sometimes feels different could this be a kidney problem ? I have no pain, smell or discolour from my urine, my stools seem completely normal

can you assist me thank you
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

The sites you mention being affected with pain do make me suspicious as you are,about a Musculoskeletal problem or a Kidney stone.

Both the above conditions do not present with any considerable associations or symptoms other than local pain in the initial stage.

The best way to rule out one amongst them is by a retrospective method.Application of first line of treatment like pain killer gels will be useful here.

On applying the Diclofenac gel the pain due to muscle involvement will reduce where as pain arising from kidney stones do not.It is then you may need to get your urine examined which will help you rule out the kidney stones.Urine shows red blood cells under microscope when there are kidney stones.

Hope I answered your query.