Have tumor on pituitary gland. Looking alternate medicine for bromocriptine

Question
I have been off my Bromocriptine for over 5 days. I've been on it since 1980 for hyperpituitarism. I have a benine(msp) tumor on my pituitary gland. Why can't pharmacy get this script or something else to replace it?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 41 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
If I'm not wrong you are having a pituitary adenoma either a prolactin secreting tumor or a non functioning tumor for which you are on long term bromocriptine. There is one more drug which can be used instead of bromocriptine. Its called cabergoline. It can even be given once or twice weekly. But your treating doctor has to give the prescription. If availability of bromocriptine is an issue try at some other pharmacy. They may be able to procure it.
Because of regulatory restrictions pramacy can only dispense those drugs that have been prescribed and available with them.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad