Have trouble sleeping. Going through menopause. Want to try alternative medicine

Question
i am 59 year old woman having gone through menapause but i am having trouble sleeping. i retire to bed between 10pm-11pm bfeeling tired and then bling wide awake i will be awake at times until 4am and then have to get up at 7,30. I do not like taking chemical tablets but will try alternative medicine, can you help
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your description, it seems that you have trouble in falling asleep.
First of all, we should try the non pharmacological methods first. You should consult a sleep specialist and dissuss the treatment option of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I). Sedatives are started only when the non pharmacological methods fail.
Melatonin supplements are natural supplements which will help in your problem.

Apart from the treatment mentioned above, try the following treatment options:

1) Keep a regular sleep and awakening schedule.

2) Do not drink caffeinated beverages later than the afternoon (tea, coffee, soft drinks etc.)

3) Do not go to bed hungry and you can have milk etc before going to bed.

4) Adjust the environment in the room (lights, temperature, noise, etc.)

5) Do not watch TV, read, eat, or worry in bed and avoid watching TV, reading books, and eating in your bed.

6) Self-hypnosis, biofeedback and relaxation breathing are often helpful. These can be discussed with a sleep specialist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.