Have tremor in hands. Why do my legs feel shaky after standing?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
when standing my right leg shakes uncontrollably, it progresses the longer i stand til it feels like my the whole of my lower body and trunk areas are shaking. as well as this i have a diagnosis of essential tremor/intention tremor in my right hand. most leg tremors i read about on the internet are in both legs. Please explain.
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
There are three main causes of tremors:
1. Essential tremors- it is the commonest cause of tremors and the most likley cause in your case. It commonly affects hands, legs, head and voice. I agree with you that in most cases it affects both legs, but in some cases, it may affect only one side.
2. Lacunar infarcts in brain- If the blood supply is reduced in some parts of brain (called as lacunar or small infarcts), especially in basal ganglia or thalamus, it may result in tremors. This can be found out by a brain scan, preferably MRI scan of brain.
3. Parkinson's disease (PD)- First of all, let me tell you it is very unlikely in your case. Tremors in PD often begin in hand and leg on one side and after a gap of 1-3 years, it tends to affect the other side too. They occur mostly at rest. In addition, slowness of movements and postural imbalance are also found.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back for any follow up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Have tremor in hands. Why do my legs feel shaky after standing? 33 minutes later
When i had an mri scan of my head and neck about 4 years ago they found calcium deposits in my basal ganglia, might this be associated with the tremor?
does orthostatic tremor ever occur in one leg only?

Thank you for getting back with more details.
Basal ganglia calcification is a normal finding in about 10% people. So, this finding is not of any clinical significance in your case.
Calcium deposits in basal ganglia may occasionally be related to disorders of calcium metabolism such as hypoparathyroidism, but you have no other symptoms to suggest so.
Orthostatic tremor affects both sides in most cases, however occasional cases can affect either only one side or affect one side more than the other.
Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Have tremor in hands. Why do my legs feel shaky after standing? 12 minutes later
thank you, your answers have helped me alot

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
You are welcome, and my best wishes are always with you.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM