Have tpo antibodies. Started levothyroxine. Will this cause weight gain?

I have tpo antibodies. I have just started levothyroxine. I am not over weight now. Will treating this condition cause me to gain weight? Thank you
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 30 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The presence of TPO antibodies indicates that the cause for your thyroid condition is autoimmune (eg. Hashimoto's disease, Grave's disease, etc.) When these conditions are untreated they will result in weight gain due to a drop in metabolism, which is caused by either an irregularly functioning thyroid or a very weakly functioning thyroid. This will result in low amounts of the thyroid hormone being produced. This entire phenomenon will surely result in weight gain.

But, once you are diagnosed and treatment is initiated with thyroid hormone replacement (Eg. levothyroxine), the body receives the thyroid hormone that helps in proper functioning, increased metabolism, etc. This should result in weight loss, although not always; but it surely will not lead to an increase in weight. Thus, treating this condition should promote weight loss, and certainly will not result in weight gain.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Have tpo antibodies. Started levothyroxine. Will this cause weight gain? 12 hours later
Thank you so much.this is all very confusing. i found out that i also have a mthfr Gene mutation 1 copy of c677t. Aahs my husband has one copy of a1297c. Should we have our child tested for this and is it irresponsible to have more children?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Hello once again.

You are most welcome.

You should get your child tested, and before going in for another child, genetic counselling will be necessary. Your counsellor will surely guide you through the whole process and also advise in your and your child's best interest.

I hope this information helps. Take care and keep your doctor in the loop always.

Best wishes.